Skip navigation

Troy Town Hall


The 1848 Town Hall and this Civil War-era one-room school were nearly identical in size and appearance. The actual Town Hall was built about 100 yards from this site, because the intersection of Wattles Road and Livernois was the geographic center of the township and equally accessible to all residents. That building was demolished when the slate-roofed Township Hall was built in 1927. The Troy Historical Society acquired the one-room Troy Union School in 1987, moved it to the Village and repurposed it as Town Hall.


Troy Union School was built sometime between 1857 and 1872 on Square Lake Road east of Rochester Road. Like many buildings.  After 1932 it became a private residence.


Robert and Isabelle Moser donated the small building to the City on June 3, 1987. It was moved to the Village that same year.


Many volunteers including boy scouts assisted in the restoration. Because the building resembled Troy’s first Town Hall and Poppleton School had been previously moved to the Village, it was determined to furnish the old school house as Town Hall.