Hold your ceremony at the Troy Historic Village
The 1837 Troy Chapel provides an intimate setting for indoor wedding ceremonies. Outdoor ceremonies are held in the charming Village Green or on the Gazebo. Our wedding package reserves the Village for a rehearsal prior to the event and provides access to the entire Village on the day of the wedding, pending the package you selected. This includes time to decorate, to assemble guests, complete the wedding ceremony, take photographs and clean-up. To schedule a tour and meet with our Events Rental Manager, call 248-524-3303.
Indoor Ceremonies in Old Troy Chapel
Built in 1837, this church chapel:
- Provides a simple traditional ambience to your wedding ceremony.
- Accommodates 110 guests on cushioned pews.
- Offers a modern sound system for recorded music or rental parties may retain musicians or reserve use of the upright piano in the chapel.
- Contains eight stained glass windows, primarily original and dated to circa 1900.
- Provides a stunning ambience when decorated with flowers, tulle and/or candles. Upon request, the Troy Historic Village may permit other decorations as well.
- Is heated, air-conditioned and has ADA compliant entry restrooms with touchless faucets.
Outdoor Ceremonies on the Gazebo
The wonderfully landscaped Gazebo is perfect for outdoor ceremonies. Our Village Green can accommodate up to 200 guests. Tent and chairs rental through the THV exclusive vendor are permitted, at the rental party’s expense. ADA compliant restrooms are available and easily accessible.
Where History Lives and Happily Ever After Begins…
Other Troy Historic Village features for your wedding event:
- Parking is free and two on-site parking lots accommodate 48 vehicles. Overflow parking with
access to the Village is available along Lange Street (on the north side of the Village). Arrange to
use these spaces when you book your event.
- A heated/air-conditioned room in the Parsonage is provided for the bride and her attendants
before the ceremony.
- All ten historic buildings are ADA-accessible and remain open before and following the ceremony
for wedding guests to explore and enjoy.
- A vendor referral schedule is available for bridal services (with a signed rental contract) if other
arrangements for vendors have not already been made. This includes a list of officiants available
to perform the ceremony, photographers and musicians. It is the responsibility of the rental party
to obtain and coordinate these services with the vendor and Events Manager.
- A facility attendant will remain on-site during the entire event to answer questions and provide
assistance if necessary.
- Couples may reserve the Village for photographs even if their wedding is held elsewhere. Indoor
and outdoor photos are permitted. Artifacts may not be moved or used as props, but the Troy Historic Village staff can provide some reproductions for creative poses, upon request and approval prior to the photo session date.
Payment Policy for Weddings and Wedding Photography
Reserving the Date:
To reserve your date at the Troy Historic Village for a wedding, the bridal couple or their representative must meet with the Events Manager, sign a Wedding Facility Rental Agreement and provide a $250 security deposit. Deposits may be paid by cash, check or credit card. All checks are payable to the Troy Historical Society.
Wedding Rental Payment Policies:
- For specific rental pricing, please call the Village at 248-524-3303 to speak to our Rental Manager, or complete the website form below for an email inquiry.
- Chapel/Indoor Weddings: The Chapel may be rented for a wedding. This provides the bridal party use of the site for a one hour rehearsal and up to four hours the day of the wedding. This cost cannot be prorated. The total rental fee is due 60 days before the wedding and may be paid by cash, check, or credit card, payable to the Troy Historical Society. If the Wedding Agreement is signed within 60 days of the event, both the deposit and fee are due at signing.
- Gazebo/Outdoor Weddings: If your desired wedding is an outdoor event, the Gazebo and Village may be rented for an additional fee. This includes the church as back-up in case of inclement weather and the additional scheduling and coordination required with the bridal party and vendors for rental equipment such as a canopy, chairs, sound systems, etc.
- Holiday Premiums: There is a premium fee for weddings scheduled within any three-day holiday weekend, including Easter, Memorial Day, the Fourth of July, Labor Day, or the weekend following Thanksgiving and the five days between Christmas and New Year’s Eve. Additional custodial or staff time for holiday events is charged at an hourly rate. (Please note that events are
not scheduled on Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year’s Eve or New Year’s Day).
- Security Deposit Return: The security deposit will be refunded after the event if no additional charges are incurred. Any custodial service or staff time (beyond the scheduled five total hours) will be charged against the deposit on an hourly basis. The rental party also assumes financial responsibility for any damages to buildings, furnishings, the grounds or artifacts, and these charges will be deducted from the deposit.
- Other Information:
- Rental parties who wish to use the Village for a longer event, or who schedule an outdoor reception, are charged an additional fee for each additional hour, including time for set-up and clean-up. Rental parties must use tents and furnishings from THV Vendors.
- The rental party forfeits the deposit and event fees if the event is cancelled within 59 days of the event.
General Wedding Policies:
- We ask that all guests respect the Troy Historic Village as a unique site that preserves history and heritage and refrain from eating or drinking (except water) in the buildings. The Village and buildings are smoke and alcohol-free environments unless alcohol is part of your wedding package. Guests may blow bubbles outdoors, but are asked not to throw rice, confetti, real flower petals or bird seed. Balloons are prohibited in the Village.
- The bridal party should expect to arrive at the Village fully dressed for the wedding. A staging area for the brides, her attendants and grooms and his attendants is available.
- We respect your special event and therefore do not schedule multiple weddings on the same day so that the bridal couple can relax and enjoy their event.
For more information regarding a potential wedding and rental pricing, please call the Village at 248-524-3303 to speak with our Events Rental Manager, or complete the form below for an email inquiry.
Wedding specific questions
Do you allow receptions in the Village?
Rental parties who wish to use the Village for an outdoor reception or the Niles-Barnard House are charged an additional hourly rate, including time for set-up and clean-up. Rental parties must use tents and furnishings from our exclusive THV vendor.
Can you provide the names of musicians or ministers?
A list of local clergy, photographers, florists and musicians are provided to the rental party when a rental contract is signed. However, it is the responsibility of the rental party to obtain and coordinate these services.
What is the seating capacity of the chapel and why is there no center aisle?
The chapel accommodates 110 guests on cushioned pews, has restrooms and is heated and air-conditioned. The building was restored to its original 1837 floor plan. The Methodist congregation did not have a center aisle.
Is the Niles-Barnard House available for wedding ceremonies and receptions?
The original 1.5 story home was built by pioneer Johnson Niles’ family in 1837 on land that is now the southwest corner of Livernois at Square Lake Road. Norman and Harriet Barnard owned the house from 1939 until 2004 when Harriet donated it to the City of Troy with the agreement that it was relocated to the Troy Historic Village. The building was moved on October 2010. Niles is credited with naming the community Troy. The Niles-Barnard House features a full warming kitchen, Wi-Fi, audio visual equipment, seating up to 75 with an open floor plan that allows for flexible setups. Temperature controlled, modern restrooms with touchless faucets and ADA compliant.
Are dressing rooms provided for the bridal party?
Bridal parties are asked to arrive dressed for their event. A staging area is available for the bride and her attendants, groom and attendants before the ceremony.