The City of Troy was first settled in the 1820s by pioneers who emigrated from New York and other eastern states. Some came by wagon through Ohio, while others reached Detroit via the Erie Canal and Great Lakes and then trekked overland to Troy Township. The new settlers cleared the forests and sowed their crops. By the 1880s Troy Township was known for its excellent corn, wheat, melons and other fruits as well as wool and dairy products.
While the farms were successful, a downtown business district was not developed. Towns often grew up around mills or railroads. Troy lacked sufficient hydropower to operate a lumber or gristmill and The Detroit and Milwaukee Railroad, which was routed through Detroit, Royal Oak and Pontiac, bypassed tiny Troy Corners at Square Lake Road and Livernois. Between 1898 and 1931 the Detroit United Railroad or interurban did provide electric trolley service through the community.
Commercial and industrial development reached Oakland County after World War II. The City of Troy was established as a home rule city in 1955 and during the next 25 years, the community experienced extraordinary growth. Today, Troy is a culturally diverse community of over 80,000 residents.
More detailed information on Troy and regional history: